Friday, April 1, 2016

Polimanteia

Yo Audrey, a man in Germany publishes a blog about Marlowe/Shakespeare with some pretty far out stuff, but interesting. Without reading more carefully (not anytime soon), no comment on the validity of his research or conclusions. I will say his website needs work (I should talk!) Most recently he posts a about Polimanteia, a book published in 1595 (two years after Marley's murder) containing on the earliest mentions of a poet "sweet Shakespeare". The author of the book (signed W.C.) has been persuasively argued to be either William Covell or William Clerke.

I think the author of the blog Mr. Bastian Conrad (who opts for Clerke) may be on to something worthwhile with his detailed analysis of Polimanteia showing how it reveals Marley's other pseudonyms. Are you familiar with Bastian's work, Audrey? I've reached out to him for a synopsis of his findings. I'll let you know what I find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment